Friday, September 7, 2012

Our little girl is growing up...

My little girl started school today.

OK, she's not mine per se; she's my niece, but we're close and I think of her as my own. I've never loved anyone (aside from her sister) as much as I love her. -- I know, I know, I'm not her mom. I don't pretend to be either. You'd be surprised how many parents seem to be offended when I make that statement. Often I am met with the: "It's not the same [kind of love]. When you have your own children you'll understand." OK, fine. I love Kennedy and Mia almost as much as you guys love your kids. Almost.

Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, the kid started nursery school this afternoon, and I got to be there, along with her mom and dad and Mia, as we walked her to school. It was probably one of my proudest moments as an auntie; seeing Kennedy enter into this new "big kid" chapter of her life.

I got to their place early, because I didn't want to accidentally miss anything. I helped Heather and Jay get the girls ready, and took lots of pictures of this milestone day. It was so nice to see how excited she was; she couldn't wait to finally get to school.

My oh my, how time flies.

I remember the night Kennedy was born; she was this little bean with the high-pitched cry, big pouty lips and blond hair. I couldn't believe how quickly I fell in love with her; here's this tiny little human, brand new to the world, and already she made me love her more than I'd ever loved anybody in my entire life. It was an incredible feeling. I was the first one (aside from my sister and Jay and the hospital staff) to hold her, and I knew that she was going to be auntie's little girl.

I've enjoyed every second of being Kennedy's auntie, even the trying times. Having her in my life, the way that Heather and Jay have allowed me to has been one of the greatest gifts anyone can ask for. She is such a special little girl; clever, kind, sensitive and very imaginative. It's hard to imagine what life was like before she was born. Honestly.

Today she starts nursery school, tomorrow it will be something else. Her world is only beginning to open up, and quite honestly she has the ideals and potential to do whatever she wants with her life. She's a kid which means that she's eager and willing to learn new things. As she grows, I hope she always holds onto that.

I love being an auntie, I'm really good at it. At this stage of my life, I'm not sure if I will ever have kids, it's all a matter of love and opportunity I guess-- If I met the right person at the right time of my life I would like to, but if I don't, it's not meant to be. I'm happy and feel extremely lucky to already have the two best little girls around. (Like I said, I feel like they're mine anyway...)

Kennedy: I'm proud of you kid, I can't wait to watch you through more milestones in your life.

Love,

Auntie S.

No comments:

Post a Comment