Thursday, February 14, 2013

Four-Year-Old's Get Valentine's Day

My Valentine from the Kid. 2013

Happy Valentine’s Day! 

I think the kid’s excitement for “Valentimes Day” is rubbing off on me. She is so excited for this day that she has been counting down the sleeps till Love Day is finally here. 

For her, this day is about hearts and love. 

“Everybody get’s a Valentime,” she told me. “Everybody.”

It’s refreshing to look at this day through a four-year-old’s eyes. She’s too young to feel inadequate about not having a boyfriend to share it with, or to be let down by high expectations. She isn’t comparing herself to her friends, or feeling lonely. On the contrary, she is just so happy to celebrate love day with the people she loves. 

It’s kind of profound to realize that a four-year-old knows more about love than most adults I know. While many will spend the day showering their partners with gifts, and others will feel lonely or let down, this kid is just happy to cut out construction paper hearts and bask in the day.

Bravo kid.

I don’t have a boyfriend this year. I’m not bummed about it, because I’ve never really been big on this day; not in the last decade anyway. But this year, after seeing this day through the kid’s eyes, I am excited for Valentine’s Day too.

I don’t have elaborate plans, but I’ve planned a red-hot date with my gym tomorrow night. It’ll be like the red-hot date I have with my gym three to five times a week, except afterwards I might buy myself a latte.

Aside from my nieces, I couldn’t think of anyone else I’d rather spend this day with. 

I hope you all have a wonderful day with the people you love. Whether you show them with your actions, your words, or gifts, make sure you let them know just how much you love and appreciate them. If you don’t have anyone to shower with your affections, then show yourself just how much you love you. There is no shame in not having anybody but yourself to love. We should all be so lucky to love ourselves as much as we expect others to.

If you find yourself feeling sad or lonely, my best advice to you is to have a heart-to-heart with a kid in your life; they’ll set you straight on what this day really means.

Happy Love Day everyone!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment