Friday, March 18, 2011

Volunteer Opportunities...

School is almost over.

After spending the last two years scratching and clawing my way to achieving my dream of being able to call myself a journalist, I am finally almost there. In just a few short weeks, I will be done. Weird.

I'm excited and nervous about this new chapter, life is bitter-sweet. On one hand, I'm scared to death that I won't be able to find a job, yet at the same time I'm excited that I will soon be able to devote some time to start volunteering again. (Since I started CreComm I haven't been able to volunteer as much as I would have liked to. I'm astounded at how much my lack of doing things for other people has affected my mood in a negative way. I am truly happiest when I am able to do things to help other people.)

Before CreComm, I spent a lot of time volunteering at Winnipeg Harvest. I worked in the warehouse and was a member of the public education committee. I met so many wonderful people at Harvest, and I credit my experience there for being life altering. (I went there with a mission of changing the world, and emerged as a changed person. In hindsight I can say with certainty that I needed them more than they needed me.)

I'm not sure if I will go back to Harvest once I am done school. I mean, I love it there, and I will always consider myself a part of the Harvest family, but there are so many different places that need volunteers that I might venture to try something new. (Or maybe I will do Harvest and something else?!) Who knows...

I'd like to take my niece volunteering so that she can learn early on in life how important it is to help other people (and herself.)

School is almost over, the countdown is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment