Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Mom: Going the Distance.


Lee McCarthy, Brandy Henry and I after completing the 2009 half Marathon.

This year my mom and I were slated to run the Manitoba half Marathon on June 20th. My mom worked really hard to accomplish this goal by training regularly and getting into top running form. She was motivated by her determination to accomplish this run, and nothing seemed like it was going to stop her. However, a few weeks ago she had a bad reaction to some of her medication, and was advised to forgo the 13.1 mile run.

Instead my mom and I have decided to do the 2.6 mile Super Run. It's quite a bit shorter than the half, but given my mom's situation, the 13.1 miles is out of reach for both of us this year. (To be perfectly honest, I have barely trained, so I am not ready either.)

I am excited that my mom and I are still taking part in the Marathon. I think that a 2.6 mile run is a great start to her running career. (Last year I started my running career with the half marathon, and I blew out my knee big time!) We've decided that even though we can't take part in the half this year, we will do the 2.6, and later in September do a 10K run as training for next year's half.

L-R: Dad, Me, Janet, Kennedy and mom at the 2010 MS Walk

After my mom was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS: a chronic progressive nervous disorder involving loss of myelin sheath around certain nerve fibres. It has different effects on everyone who has it, but it can result in loss of motor skills, and paralysis, among other problems.) she decided to take up running with the goal of one day completing a marathon, because she knew she faced the possibility of one day not being able to do this. Her logic was simple: she wanted to take advantage of her abilities before they were (possibly) stripped of her.

My mom is the true definition of a warrior. Though she has admitted that she is sometimes upset about having MS, she never lets it get her down. In fact, since her diagnosis, she has become stronger both physically and mentally.

On Sunday, June 20th, when my mom and I complete her first public run, we will celebrate by cheering on all the other Marathon runners that pass through that finish line. Though we are not able to participate in the race that we initially wanted to, I know that our Super Run will be a special experience for both of us.

I'm proud of you mom!

1 comment:

  1. I know that not being able to do the half as planned hurts now, but as you found out, hurting yourself in your first big run is no fun either. If you and your mom gets this run under your belt it will boost your confidence for the next race.

    I will be looking forward to seeing you both at the finish line!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete