Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I used to be an advocate...

In this Photo: Grace Macatangay, taken by me

I used to be quite the advocate for people living in lower socioeconomic conditions. -- It all started with an epiphany I had about wanting to change the world during my first year of University. I seriously thought I was going to change the world (oh idealism!) and I figured that I would start my Gandhi-esque task by volunteering at Winnipeg Harvest.

I became impassioned about poverty, and the people living in poverty.

With Harvest came many opportunities; I got to be an unofficial spokesperson in a way, speaking publicly about my family's previous experiences with poverty, and advocating for those who are entrapped now. I also learned so much, and devoted so much of myself to the cause.

Volunteering for Harvest was probably the one time in my life that I actually felt my absolute purpose. I felt alive fighting for something I whole-heartedly believe(d) in.

In the last couple of years I have become extremely busy. I haven't been able to go to Harvest, and I my knowledge of poverty issues seems to be fading; the passion is there, but the knowledge isn't.

Recently I immersed myself in another cause that might be a better fit for my chaotic schedule (details soon!) -- I don't know how much of myself I'll be able to give, but I am excited at the prospect of being able to make a dent in my plan to change the world...One step at a time right?!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a new cause? What is it?
    I think for people who have ersonal experience living in poverty will never lose their passion to "pay it forward."

    ReplyDelete