Monday, January 17, 2011

Sleep deprived.

It's 3:58 am and this is my second wake up of the night.

Somebody once told me to never blog about my ailments because it's awkward and nobody likes to hear about that stuff. Yeah, that person hit the nail on the head. However, since it's so early in the morning, and I have woken up not once, but twice in the middle of my sleep, I feel entitled to talk about my affliction.

I can't sleep.

Well, that's a lie, I can fall asleep just fine (for the most part.) My issue is staying asleep through the night. I'm not quite sure when it started, but for at least the last two years (that I can honestly remember and track) I have been unable to make it through an entire night without waking up at least once.

It's the most bizarre thing, because I am always so exhausted.

Most nights I only wake up once in the middle of my sleep, this has become a normal pattern for me. However, on more extreme nights, which don't happen as often thank goodness, I wake up two or three times.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what causes me to this, because nothing in particular wakes me up. One second I am sound asleep and the next second I am back in the land of the living, there is no transition, it's just like BAM, I'm awake. And it doesn't happen as a startle or a jolt or anything, it's just super fast and sudden.

Most nights I'm up for half an hour to an hour. I usually find a snack, blog, and look at my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I am usually wide awake, like I could get up for the day. However I get really tired really fast. (In writing this, I actually fell asleep at the keyboard. Ironic.) It's like the opposite of how I woke up: BAM, I can barely keep my eyes open...

I don't know.

I'd like to make it through the entire night one of these days, but I'm not sure what to do to get there...

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping?!

2 comments:

  1. I rarely have this problem, but I did have it in high school. Like you, I would wake up several times a night and I'd be up for at least an hour every time. I got into the habit of listening to music until I was tired, and it got to the point where I HAD to get out of bed to listen to music before I could sleep. My body just created that routine out of habit. Your issue could be similar. When you wake up, you need to go online or make a snack before you can get to sleep. Have you tried lying in bed and waiting it out until you feel tired again? That may help break the routine your body has created, which will hopefully let you get a full night's rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wake up at least 2 times a night, but I fall right back asleep. So this isn't normal? I AM unusually tired after a full night's sleep...

    ReplyDelete