Saturday, September 12, 2009

Good morning...What?!...Oh.

Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the othe people.
                                        Dr. Randy Pausch



I don't know exactly how it happened, but this morning the time on my alarm clock was ahead by an hour, so even after hitting the snooze button two times, I am still up far earlier than I need to be.

Ugh.

I work on the weekends; Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 am until 7:30 pm.

I am nervous about how my work and school lives are going to co-exist; I know that many Cre Commers have the advantage of not having to work while they are in the program, but that is not an option for me. I live alone in an already reasonably low-rent apartment. I am single, and have bills to contend with on my own, without the help of a spouse. I am also too old to move back in with my parents; their two-bedroom condo is far too small for all of us to live peacefully anyway...

I shouldn't complain though, I know that it is possible to work and go to school. (I watched my mom do it; she started out getting her degree in Education, and ended up getting her PhD! And she did this while working full time, raising three kids, and doing contract work for Red River and UofM...Oh, and she even had good marks throughout her school career...) She is definitely a tough act to follow, but her journey inspires me, and makes me realize that anything is possible, especially when you want something badly enough!


Still, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous about my hectic schedule. (On a good note however, I did manage to bank over 260 overtime hours this summer! -- I plan to use these hours to top up my pay cheques for the next couple of months, so that I am as comfortable as I can be while I am in school. Plus, it is nice to know that I have time in my time-banks, in case I need to book a day or two off!)

I just have to keep reminding myself of how rewarding it will be be to complete this program, and move on to a new chapter of my life. The work force is only going to become more challenging, and I should view my current situation as one that is priming me for what lies ahead...

On that note, it's time to get ready for my day at work! Until next time blog-friends!

1 comment:

  1. There's that old expression: if you want something done, ask a busy person. True!

    As a busy person, once you have more stuff to do, you tend to take it in stride and do it without procrastination.

    If you have nothing to do, just getting off the couch is a major accomplishment.

    So, keep on workin' and writing' - and get some sleep too - and you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete